Water Damage Not Covered By Most Insurance Policies

Did you just realize that you have a flood in your house?  If the water damage didn’t happen at a moment’s notice and is considered “gradual damage,” it probably won’t be covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. If the water landed on the ground and flowed into your home, that also isn’t covered.

It is in your best interest to find and review your homeowner’s insurance policy carefully and know where the gaps are in your policy.  If you know your rights, you can better advocate for yourself and make sure you are covered for a water emergency.  It may be possible to add a rider, or endorsement, to cover certain types of water damage and residual damage like mold or rot. Talk to your insurer about what add-ons or riders are available for your policy. 

  • Floods

Floods, regardless of how the water originated, are excluded from every basic homeowner’s insurance policy. This includes, but isn’t limited to – rainwater, surging rivers, and drenched ground.  In order to get flood damage covered, you can get insured through FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or if you live in one of the NFIP’s participating communities. You can also get private market flood insurance if it’s available in your area.

  • Sewage Water

Water that overflows from sewage or drains and finds its way into your home is never covered. However, most insurance companies offer water backup riders or endorsements to supplement this gap in coverage.

  • Poorly Maintained Plumbing

If water leaks from poorly constructed or lack of maintenance, or old piping and old appliances and they cause water damage and mold, that would be considered “neglect” by your insurer and won’t be covered.


If you find that you have a flood and you have water damage, Expert Restoration of Utah will help with your water cleanup.  Call Expert Restoration 24/7 to help you 801-642-4347 today. 


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top